Sunday, October 28, 2007

the research of a de-convert

10:05 PM Posted by: M., 1 comments

I just started the book Jesus:Apocalyptic Prophet of the New Millennium and it is so interesting.

What is also interesting to me is the following. I have read the entire Bible, almost a dozen theology and philosophy of religion books, engaged in religious philosophical debates, and read hundreds of religious articles in my search for truth (and prayed consistently though the first five months of a total (roughly) eight month de-conversion process)....

And ended up de-converting.

Meanwhile, a lot of the Christians around me have maybe read 1/20th of the Bible and--I would venture to say-- 0 philosophical or biblical history books that are not from the viewpoint of a Christian. Yet they still believe and try to bring me back into the fold with reason.

I really, honestly am not saying I am better, but it is just interesting to me. I wonder what they would think if they travel through the minds and experiences of us de-converted.


1 comment:

exapologist said...

That book is, in my opinion, the death-knell to Christianity. The first half is good, but a little slow. Still, it's necessary groundwork for the second half, which is utterly devastating -- An open-and-shut, knock-down, drag-out case that Jesus was a failed apocalyptic prophet, like John the Baptist.