Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Wartime Prayers

11:27 AM Posted by: M., 2 comments

My friend Katie got me really into Paul Simon and I am like obsessed now.

Here are lyrics from a song from his album, "Surprise" . I recommend listening to the song. The last part makes me cry just reading it.

"Wartime Prayers"

Prayers offered in times of peace are silent conversations,
Appeals for love or love's release
In private invocations
But all that is changed now,
Gone like a memory from the day before the fires.

People hungry for the voice of God
Hear lunatics and liars
Wartime prayers, wartime prayers
In every language spoken,
For every family scattered and broken.

Because you cannot walk with the holy,
If you're just a halfway decent man.
I don't pretend that I'm a mastermind
With a genius marketing plan.
I'm trying to tap into some wisdom,
Even a little drop will do.
I want to rid my heart of envy
And cleanse my soul of rage
Before I'm through.

Times are hard, it's a hard time
But everybody knows all about hard times.
The thing is, what are you gonna do?
Well, you cry and try to muscle through
Try to rearrange your stuff
But when the wounds are deep enough,
It's all that we can bear,We wrap ourselves in prayer.

Because you cannot walk with the holy,
If you're just a halfway decent man.
I don't pretend that I'm a mastermind
With a genius marketing plan.
I'm trying to tap into some wisdom,
Even a little drop will do.
I want to rid my heart of envy
And cleanse my soul of rage
Before I'm through.

A mother murmurs in twilight sleep
And draws her babies closer.
With hush-a-byes for sleepy eyes,
And kisses on the shoulder.
To drive away despair
she says a wartime prayer


2 comments:

Abby said...

Hi Marie,

I just came by your blog a few days ago and have been reading it in free moments (haha... = slackoff time) at work for the past few days. It's really refreshing to hear someone else talk about experiences similar to the ones I have had. I was raised in a very conservative (fundie?) household and church community- 12 years of church-run Christian school, the whole nine yards. I tried to fit the mold until my mid teens. My misgivings about my parents'/church community's particular brand of Christianity led to a lot of fighting within my family, which is, sadly, still ongoing. When I went to (a Christian) college, I finally had some exposure to a different, more progressive Christianity. This was a great learning experience for me, but I'm still not sure whether I'd call myself a Christian. .... anyway, I admire that you are approaching "outing" yourself to your family so cautiously. It is supremely difficult to tell loved ones that you're rejecting their worldview, but I sincerely hope that you and your parents (and your circle of Christian friends) can work through this with your relationships intact. That will give me hope for my own family!

The Cubicle Reverend said...

Paul Simon does rule