Sunday, May 27, 2007

def

10:42 AM Posted by: M., 4 comments

I think I have come up with a definition for my current state of (dis)belief. I can't say it will never change, but for now this is it...

I do not believe in the Christian god. I realize that I cannot successfully reject completely the existence of some supernatural beng, but I am not at all remotely convinced that the Christian god exists--especially in the capacity he is discussed popularly today; therefore, I choose to live my daily and collective life under the assumption that there is no god. I do, however, pledge to continue on in my personal pursuit of truth and I commit myself to be open to wherever that may lead.

I guess that is it for now. There is a lot of redundancy in the wording, but that is just for emphasis I guess.


4 comments:

exapologist said...

I'm pretty much in the same boat.

zilch said...

You are sailing new seas. Keep your wits about you, and you will see many wonders.

HeIsSailing said...

Hello Marie. Nice secular creed you have started there. Like exapologist, I am in the same boat. I am agnostic in the sense that I don't think there is any way to know if there is a god or not - so why bother trying? It there is a god (gods? goddess?), he sure ain't the God of Christianity, that much I do know.

Heather said...

I think you're in a better situation than most -- one of the difficulties in believing that one has the Absolute Truth is a lack of listening. I know that I've said that before. :) But part of what you've posted here expands upon that, because a danger in a lack of listening is to automatically dismiss contrary evidence. You said that you are open to wherever you are lead, and many don't, or can't, do that.