Monday, March 26, 2007

thought

2:32 PM Posted by: M., 4 comments

This is an amateur idea, but I am thinking about how our "knowledge" of God is unlike any other--and that is curious to me. I have had people tell me that God will reveal things to me if I just think about it (insert "pray" "reflect" "meditate,"etc.) and then the mere thought of it coming from God is enough evidence to know it is true. So if I reflect on whether or not God's Word is inerrant and I start to think that it is inerrant, that means it is true? Because God revealed it to me? If something in the Bible I read sounds right to me--that means that there was a Divine intervention and whatever I am thinking--as long as it is in line with American Western Christian theology--it is true. Here are a couple of questions.

1. If that is right, what if I have reflected, and now I think that the Bible has errors? That "realization" feels the same way to me as when I have had "divine inspiration"--so how can i know which is truth?

2. What other knowledge works this way? Usually if we think of an idea and believe it--we have to test it and the evidence has to somewhat affirm it. If I believe in my brain that there are blue pigs--just because I believe it doesnt make it true--so I have to investigate...I do research on pigs and their colors and how they acheive pigment and history of pig colors and so on and so forth--and I have to conclude that my thought was not true. Maybe Thomas Edison came up with the idea for the lightbulb in his head--but he did hundreds--prob. thousands of experiments to finally have his thought be truth.

What I am thinking, is that if God wants us to believe in Him and think he is true and act like Christianity is correct, why is the knowledge of it so different from any other that we are used to and can trust? That hardly seems fair or effective.

so how can we tell the difference between "divine inspiration" and just "thinking something"?

(sorry if this was confusing. i am confused.)


I just read these on another blog. I think this is dangerous.

"I believe that God puts thoughts in my head, (kind of talking to me without using my ears; just right to my brain) - but not giving Divine revelation or adding to the Bible. If we ever think that we are being led by God and it is contrary to the Bible, we are misinterpreting the message."

"People who don’t hear God answer their questions/prayers either already have the answer and don’t like what it is, or do not have a relationship with Jesus because they have never accepted that He paid for their sins, or possibly, they really don’t believe that God will answer them, so they don’t hear His answer."


4 comments:

Muse Parade said...

Hello, I'm just a random passerby doing a bit of browsing before turning in for the night.

Here's some insight:

Think of Mowgli in the Jungle Book.

No parents. No human contact. No religion.

Hope that helps you let go.

Becky said...

You got me in knots now.

becky

marie said...

in knots? oh no! well as totally cheesy as this sounds, i hope we can untie them-- together

exapologist said...

No knock against the Mormons, but they use the same method of searching for the truth. My mom prays for a "burning in the bosom" to confirm the truth of a particular belief (often beliefs wholly at odds with those of evangelicals) and God answers back with a confirmation.

So, for example, is the Book of Mormon accurate history? Despite strong archaeological disconfirmation, the "burning in the bosom" says 'yes'. In a situation like this, what is the Mormon to do? Trust those evil "secular" archaeologists whose researches indicate that the "lost tribes of Israel" never lived "below the border", or God, who can never lie? Well, isn't it impious and wicked to trust man over God? "Let God be found true, though all men be found a liar".

The same problem occurs, I think, in the evangelical sort of inquiry you mention here. Is the Mormon method of inquiry off track? By parity of reasoning, then, shouldn't we say the same about the evangelical method?